Re: [ncl-talk] NCL install problems

From: Gerry Creager <gerry.creager_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 16:13:04 -0600

I'd strongly recommend that you use the binaries (do a 'gcc -v' to
establish which binary you need) in order to get started. I've just
done an update that way and it "just worked". I'm told that installing
from source isn't a pain-free way to proceed.

If installing from the binary tar-ball, execute a 'tar xzvf
<tarballname.tar.gz>' as root in the $NCARG_ROOT directory. At least,
that just worked for me about 15 minutes ago...

Gerry

Michael Irl Zimmerman wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I tried to install NCARG/NCL on my Fedora Core 6 machine and the Make
> procedure ended with a 'thumbs-up' saying that everything was installed
> successfully, but I don't see an executable named NCL in my
> $NCARG_ROOT/bin directory. When I try to run an example using ng4ex it
> can't find the ncl executable, either. Finally, I noticed during the
> install that errors were popping up that read something like "can't
> find -lhdf". I take this to mean that I have not properly pre-
> installed the hdf libraries. I have installed HDF (and NCARG 4.2.2)
> using the FC6 software installer but I don't think that I can trust
> Fedora to put the libraries in a directory accessible to other
> applications under normal circumstances.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) Are there any thoughts on the above?
> 2) Is there a way to get at the ./Configure information before I
> attempt to install NCL? This would allow me to ensure that the hdf
> libraries (and others, like Vis5D+, etc.) even exist in the right
> places.
>
> -- Mike

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager_at_tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.862.3982 FAX: 979.862.3983