Building NCAR Graphics from Source: Bus Error on SiCortex SC648

From: Steven G Decker <decker_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 16:26:19 -0400

Hi there,

I am attempting to build NCAR Graphics from source on the SiCortex SC648
using the Pathscale suite of compilers. I get most of the files listed
at http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/files/NCARG_files.txt, but not all,
and I get a slew of undefined references when trying ncargex cpex08.

Looking through the output of the build process, I see the first error here:
pathf95 -O -o fontc cfaamn.o cfrdln.o cfwrit.o ffgttk.o ffinfo.o
  ffphol.o ffppkt.o ffprcf.o ffprsa.o fftbkd.o fftkin.o sffndc.o
sfgtin.o sfgtkw.o sfprcf.o sfskbk.o sftbkd.o
-L../../.././common/src/libncarg_c -lncarg_c
-L/home/decker/local/ncarg/lib -L/usr/lib64
         Processing fontcap font1
make[4]: *** [font1] Bus error

When I run the tlocal test program, I get this output:
1TEST PACKAGE EXECUTING. THIS LINE SHOULD BE PRINTED.
0WE WILL FIRST TEST THE INFORMATION YOU HAVE PROVIDED IN CERTAIN DATA
  STATEMENTS AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS PROGRAM. IF ANY ERROR IS FOUND,
  EXECUTION WILL TERMINATE--NO ROUTINES WILL BE TESTED.
0YOU HAVE PROVIDED THE FOLLOWING CONSTANTS.

       NUMBER OF BITS IN A WORD 32
       NUMBER OF BITS IN AN INTEGER ASSIGNMENT 32
       NUMBER OF BITS IN AN INTEGER COMPARISON 32
       THE DIMENSION OF THE ARRAY MASK0 32
       THE DIMENSION OF THE ARRAY MASK1 33
       THE DIMENSION OF THE ARRAY ISCR 190
0THE ABOVE DATA APPEARS TO BE CORRECT. WE WILL NOW BEGIN TESTING THE
  SUPPORT ROUTINES YOU HAVE PROVIDED FOR USE WITH THE PLOT PACKAGE.
0A MESSAGE WILL BE PRINTED BEFORE EACH TEST BEGINS, WHENEVER AN ERROR IS
  FOUND, AND AT THE SUCCESSFUL CONCLUSION OF A TEST. A SUMMARY OF THE
  TEST RESULTS WILL BE PRINTED AT THE END. NOTE THAT AN ERROR FOUND IN
  ONE ROUTINE MAY SUSPEND TESTING OF ONE OR MORE SUBSEQUENT ROUTINES.
1NOW TESTING IOR.
0FINISHED TESTING IOR. IOR APPARENTLY WORKS.
1NOW TESTING IAND.
0FINISHED TESTING IAND. IAND APPARENTLY WORKS.
1NOW TESTING ISHIFT.
0FINISHED TESTING ISHIFT. ISHIFT APPARENTLY WORKS.
1NOW TESTING GBYTES.

**** Segmentation fault! Fault address: (nil)

This is likely to have been caused by either a null pointer dereference
or a general protection fault.
Aborted

So it appears something is wrong with GBYTES. Checking the output of
the i1mach and r1mach functions showed no obvious errors, as the values
match what I get from the Fortran intrinsics like HUGE, TINY, etc. I
also thought I modified the master yMakefile appropriately as well. (The
system was undetected at first, so I had to make modifications.)

Thus, I'm at a loss at this point. Please let me know if you can offer
any help or if you need more information.

Here's the output of uname -a:
Linux sca-m0n8.scsystem 2.6.15-sc-lustre-perfmon #1 SMP Thu Dec 20
18:10:56 EST 2007 mips64 SiCortex ICE9A V1.0 FPU V0.1 SiCortex SC-1000
GNU/Linux

Thanks,
Steve