Re: some problems with libncarg.a

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 08:49:55 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, RUAN Tao wrote:

> Dear Mary,
>
> Actually I have found this warning message before I sent you last email.
> If I change to an older version of PGI compiler like 6.2.3cos4,
> 7.2.1cos4, this warning message about -lpgc would disappear.
> However, I still got the similar error message about NCARG. Finally, I
> changed to this latest version which I have, because I think it would
> not make any mistake even the -lpgc warning available.
> So please skip the warnning message about -lpgc. I think it is not the
> key point. Perhaps some other package is not completely campatible with
> PGI-7.2.1cos5.
>
> How can I solve the rest problem?

If you are talking about the undefined references to "s_cat", "s_cmp",
etc, then I think this may be due to the fact that you could be
linking against libraries that were compiled with the GNU compilers.
If so, you might want to try including "-lg2c" on the compile line.

If you don't have the GNU compilers and don't want to install them,
then you may want to consider building NCAR Graphics from source
yourself, using the PGI compilers. These undefined references won't
be an issue.

--Mary

>> Hi,
>>
>> Your error message:
>>
>> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
>> /disk/local_x86_64/pgi-cdk-7.2.1cos5/linux86-64/7.2-1/lib/libpgc.so when
>> searching for -lpgc
>>
>> could indicate that your Portland compiler was either not installed
>> correctly on your system, or that you have multiple compilers on your
>> system set up for different architectures, and you are using the
>> wrong one.
>>
>> Please double-check that your compiler environment is set up
>> correctly, and that you are using the correct compiler for your
>> system.
>>
>> --Mary
>>
>> On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, RUAN Tao wrote:
>>
>>> Dear helper,
>>>
>>> I am sorry to interrupt you. I am one of the user of ncarg. When I am
>>> compiling some tools for WRF plotting, I always can not go through some
>>> routines.
>>>
>>> I get some messages as follows,
>>> pgf90 -o plot_level.exe plot_level.o module_header.o
>>> module_map_stuff.o
>>> module_ncarg.o module_read_station.o date_pack_module.o
>>> -L/usr/local/ncarg-4.4.1-x86_64/lib -lncarg -lncarg_gks -lncarg_c -lX11
>>> -lm -L/usr/local/netcdf-3.6.2-x84_64-pgi/lib -lnetcdf
>>> -I/usr/local/netcdf-3.6.2-x84_64-pgi/include
>>> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
>>> /disk/local_x86_64/pgi-cdk-7.2.1cos5/linux86-64/7.2-1/lib/libpgc.so when
>>> searching for -lpgc
>>> /usr/local/ncarg-4.4.1-x86_64/lib/libncarg.a(mdlndr.o): In function
>>> `mdlndr_':
>>> mdlndr.f:(.text+0xbf): undefined reference to `s_cat'
>>> mdlndr.f:(.text+0x131): undefined reference to `s_cmp'