Re: error in NCARG

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 08:33:10 -0600 (MDT)

Dear Amit Bhardwaj,

The warnings:

    /var/folders/Y0/Y0ja4Q5rFxaRBbNaEmzVIE+++TM/-Tmp-//cczX3Jye.s:2428:
        indirect jmp without `*'

are coming from the compiler and are annoying, but harmless. I think
it has something to do with g95 and gcc being out of sync. You might
want to write to the g95 developer about this:

    http://www.g95.org/

See the "Mail Andy" link at the top.

The warnings:

    ld warning: for symbol _lbcomn_ tentative definition of size 32 from
    /Users/mtech2/ncarg/lib/libncarg.a(lblbar.o) is being replaced by a
    real definition of size 24 from
   /Users/mtech2/ncarg/lib/libncarg.a(lbblda.o)

are also annoying, but harmless.

The undefined symbols are a problem, however.

Did you install NCL/NCARG from a precompiled binary or source code?
You shouldn't be seeing these errors if you installed from a binary.

If you installed from source code, then it looks like the source code
in "$NCARG/ncarg2d/src/libncarg" didn't get compiled completely. I'm
guessing it had trouble building the "Iftran" application in the
directory "$NCARG/ncarg2d/src/libncarg/Iftran". This application is
used to create the *.f files that contain many of symbols that are
undefined for you.

I recommend downloading a precompiled binary. If you log into the ESG
(www.earthsystemgrid.org) again, you can download this (non-OPeNDAP
enabled) binary:

     NCL 5.1.1 binary for Intel Mac (MacOS 10.4)

It should work with your g95 compiler, but you might need to
include "-lf95" on the compile line.

--Mary