Re: VVECTR - VECTOR NDC LENGTH TOO GREAT

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 09:36:57 -0600

Hi Izu,

For future reference, this kind of question is more appropriate for
ncl-talk:

Your script is using wrf_xxxx scripts, which I am not super familiar
with.

However, you are getting numerous error messages, which leads me
to believe something might be wrong with the data, rather than the
scripts.

I can't tell which wrf_vector call is giving you the error, so can
you try commenting out this line for both of them:

       opts_at_NumVectors = 30

to see if the "VECTOR NDC LENGTH" messages go away?

The wrf_vector script is trying to set the vector reference
length based on this setting, and there might be something
wrong there.

You should also check your vector data arrays to make
sure their values look like what you're expecting:

   printVarSummary(u10)
   printVarSummary(v10)
    print("min/max u10 = " + min(u10) + "/" + max(u10))
    print("min/max v10 = " + min(u10) + "/" + max(v10))

The "printVarSummary" output will indicate whether you have
a _FillValue, which indicates your missing value. Check this value
to make sure it is correct.

Do the same for your other vector data u_plane, v_plane.

With the contour error messages, it looks like you might be passing in
a data array that's all constant (all equal to the same value):

   warning:ContourPlotInitialize: scalar field is constant;
ContourPlot not possible:[errno=1102]

This won't hurt anything, but you will get a lot of messages
complaining about it trying to
use the contour levels that you've specified.

You can do the same print statements on your contour data, if you
want to see which one
is giving you the constant warning. Maybe you simply have a
calculation somewhere
that is not correct.

--Mary