Re: NCL installation with intel compilers

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Jan 28 2011 - 09:00:40 MST

Hi Babu,

We don't have any precompiled binaries that were built with the Intel compilers.

If you are just interested in using "ncl" then you should be able to download
a gcc/gfortran compiled version and try that. You might get a complaint
that it can't find a "libgfortran.so" type of file, but there are ways to fix this:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/linux.shtml#libgfortran

If you actually need to compile NCAR Graphics or HLU C or Fortran code,
then you should still be able to use gcc/gfortran compiled binaries with
your Intel compilers, but you might have to "help" the Intel compiler by
adding some system libraries on the compile line, like "-lgfortran".

If you absolutely need an Intel-compiled version of NCL, then you can download
the source code and copy one of the LINUX*INTEL* files in the $NCARG/config
directory to $NCARG/config/LINUX and modify it to your needs. I would start
with the $NCARG/config/LINUX.INTEL file, since you have a 32-bit system.

There may be other folks on this email list who have done an Intel compile
of NCL. If so, I would be curious to know if the LINUX.INTEL file worked
as is, or if it had to be modified.

--Mary