Re: Segmentation fault with NCL

From: Orion Poplawski <orion_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Sep 29 2011 - 11:08:45 MDT

On 09/29/2011 09:41 AM, Mateus Teixeira wrote:
> Dear NCL users,
>
> Please, avoid installing NCL in Fedora using *yum *command.
>
> I've recently noted a problem using *ut_calendar* function with this
> installation: NCL is aborted and a Segmentation Fault message is issued. I
> didn't look for the source of this problem.
>
> I've noted this problem in machines with Fedora 12, 13, 14 and 15, in which
> the 5.2.0 version of the NCL were installed.
>
> I was using this approach mainly because the differences between GCC versions
> used for binaries and that available with Fedora. However, after have noted
> this problems, I have seen that even with different GCC versions, NCL binaries
> work very well in Fedora.

Okay, I found the issue. As a workaround you can set the environment variable
UDUNITS_PATH to /usr/share/udunits/udunits2.xml. This is a result of a bug in
the way the Fedora package is modified. Although a segfault could be avoided
if some more error checking was done in _NCGetNCARGEnv() and in utopen_ncl().
  Due to a config error on my part, _NCGetNCARGEnv("udunits") is returning
null because the path doesn't exist. This causes the
strcpy(udunits_file,path) call to segfault because path is null.

I'll get some updates out to fix this. Would updating F15 to ncl 6.0.0 as
part of the fix be okay?

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion@cora.nwra.com