Re: bringing arguments into an ncl script

From: Dennis Shea (shea@XXXXXX)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 13:53:24 MST

> I am running a couple of ncl scripts from a unix
> shell script. I would like to be able to import
> shell script variables into my ncl script. I tried
> doing this but have been unsuccessful. Can this
> sort of thing be done in ncl ? Any advice or

Here is an example. If this does not help send again ...

#!/bin/csh

@ YR = 0
@ YRSTOP = 13
# Processes were put in background [&]
while ($YR <= $YRSTOP )
    echo $YR
    setenv YEAR $YR
    ncl < demo.ncl >&! demo.output_$YR & # differemt output for each file
    @ YR = ($YR + 1)
end
exit

Where the main script includes

begin
  :
  :
 year = stringtointeger( getenv("YEAR"))
  :
  :
end

getenv: This function is used to retrieve the string value of a
        shell environment variable.

I used stringtointeger to convert the string to an integer.

Post again if this does not answer your question.