Re: natgrids routine question

From: Mary Haley (haley@XXXXXX)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 07:04:51 MST

> Dear NCL users:
>
> I am working with model output that is on a rotated lat/lon
> grid. In order view the output of a particular variable
> on a normal rectangular grid, I am have using the lat/lon
> values for each grid point and the natgrids routine to
> regrid the rotated data. This working great so far.
> However, the grid I am working with is 145 x 145 and
> this process can take a few minutes to do, especially
> when working with multiple variables and levels. This
> brings up my question.
>
> I was wondering if the natgrid routine is applied to one
> variable, can the interpolation adjustment computed at
> each grid point be applied to another variable ? I was
> wondering if there is way export the interpolation factors
> at each grid point to a file ? If I could retrieve the
> interpolation adjustments at each point, I could then
> apply them to my original lat/lon values at each point.
> I would just like to be able to do this so I could store
> my data regridded and not have to use natgrid each
> time I plot a variable.
>
> Sorry if my wording is confusing. Any suggestions
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Matt Fearon

There are C and Fortran routines in Natgrid to do what Matt wants, and
we just recently added this capability to NCL. For more information,
see the documentation for "nngetwts" and "nngetwtsd" at

  http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ref/ncl/functions/nngetwts.html

These routines will be available in the next minor release of NCL
(probably a couple of weeks from now), but if you need them sooner,
send me email at haley@ucar.edu.

Cheers,

--Mary Haley