Re: dim_min & dim_max

From: Mary Haley (haley@XXXXXX)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 22:20:16 MST

> hi there,
>
> I seem to be having a problem with the dim_min and dim_max commands
>
> they both return the same thing which is neither the minimum nor the
> maximum but is simply the array returned by using the 0 index in the n-1
> dimension
>
> dim_avg, on the other hand, seems to work as expected?
>
> has anyone else noticed this problem? could it be an installation thing?
> or am I just being outlandish expecting something to do with a minimum
> or maximum to be returned?
>
> yours somewhat perplexed......
>
> jason

Hi Jason,

I believe you've run into a bug that we fixed a couple of versions
ago. This bug seemed to only appear when the array passed to dim_min
or dim_max didn't have a missing value attribute (_FillValue) set.

The best thing to do is download the latest version of NCL from:

   http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/download.html

If for whatever reason you don't want to download ncl, then you should
be able to get around your problem by setting the _FillValue attribute
to some value that you know your data will never have:

   x@_FillValue = 1.e36
   xmin = dim_min(x)
   xmax = dim_max(x)