Few Questions

From: Maurice (mchughm@XXXXXX)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 14:08:27 MST

Good Afternoon:

I am a recent convert to NCL after several years of happily using ncargf77.
I have encountered three NCL problems that I have been working on for a while and hope that somebody could help me out.

(1) I modified one of Dennis Shea's spectral analysis example scripts (called spec_3.ncl) and would like to add spectral periodicities running horizontally above the top x-axis in the diagram in addition to the spectral frequecies running below the bottom x-axis currently used in the script.

(2) I seem to have problems skipping over header lines contained in my ascii datafiles. In f77 the command 'read(10,*)' would skip over a line in file 10.
Is there equivalent NCL way of skippping a text line before reading in the data array?

(3) When I tried to include a Fortran subroutine into NCL I run into a series of problems. I am not sure where the problem is occurring.
     Firstly when I place a subroutine into a stand-alone file and compile the f77 compiler does not produce an executable file and gives the following error

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/libg2c.a(main.o): In function `main':
main.o(.text+0x2a): undefined reference to `MAIN__'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Then when I use nhlf77 -c rivdis.f

g77 -c rivdis.f -L/usr/local/ncarg/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -I/usr/local/ncarg/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -lhlu -lncarg -lncarg_gks -lncarg_c -lX11 -Wl,-Bstatic -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/egcs-2.90.29 -lf2c -Wl,-Bdynamic -lm
g77: -lhlu: linker input file unused since linking not done
g77: -lncarg: linker input file unused since linking not done
g77: -lncarg_gks: linker input file unused since linking not done
g77: -lncarg_c: linker input file unused since linking not done
g77: -lX11: linker input file unused since linking not done
g77: -Bstatic: linker input file unused since linking not done
g77: -lf2c: linker input file unused since linking not done
g77: -Bdynamic: linker input file unused since linking not done
g77: -lg2c: linker input file unused since linking not done
g77: -lm: linker input file unused since linking not done

I'd be extremely grateful to anyone who can be of assistance!

Regards

Maurice

Maurice McHugh
Geography Department