Problem opening file for f90 shared object read

From: Jan Dutton (jfd AT XXXXXX)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 16:52:22 MDT

Hello all,

I have an interesting problem that I am not quite sure how to solve.

First off I am running RH6.2 on a pentium machines
and installed NCL 4.2.0.a20.

I have written a brief f90 code to read formatted
data that I downloaded from the Climate Prediction
Center web page.

I use this code to create a f90 (compiled with pgf90) shared object
callable
from NCL.

When I try to read two different files in the same NCL script
I get a segementation fault and core dump from
the fortran object. It turns out this is occuring
when NCL calls the shared object for the second read.

When I read a single file, there is no problem.

I decided to write a simpler example case but, of course,
this runs without a hitch. All of the esential elements were
present in the simpler f90 subroutine.

I would greatly appreciate it someone would be willing run
the code to see if they have the same problem.

The code can be downloaded from
http://www.weatherventures.com/read_webdat.tar.gz

It contains:
read_webdat_ncl.f90 = the f90 code to read the data files
read_webdat_ncl.stub = the f77 stub file
comp_f90.sh = a script to create the *.so file
webdat_hd1.txt = one of the data files
webdat_hd3.txt = the other data file
read_data.ncl = the ncl script I am using ; update *.so location

I have also placed my "test" code at the same place but under the name
read_test.tar.gz which has a similar list of files.

As long as you have the pgf90 and pgcc compiliers it should
be quite easy to test this out.

I would appreciate it,

Thanks,

Jan

--
Jan F. Dutton, MBA PhD        804-295-9989
President                     801-457-0153 (efax)

P.O. Box 1851 Charlottesville, VA 22903 http://www.weatherventures.com