picking off negative values

From: Matt Fearon (matthew.fearon@XXXXXX)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 12:38:59 MDT

Dear NCL users

If I have an array;

nd=100
a=new((/nd/),"float",-999.)

that is made up of negative and positive values, how can I isolate
the only negative values and make them zero ? Here is my current
procedure for doing this;

do id=0,nd-1
    if(a(id).lt.0.) then
       a(id) = 0.
    end if
end do

However when I try running this I get the following error message;

fatal:The result of the conditional expression yields a missing value.
NCL can not determine branch, see ismissing function
fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 231

I thought since I set a _FillValue of -999. in the new statement that
missing values are ignored. I am not sure why NCL keeps encountering
a missing value. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Matt