Curvilinear coordinates and ncl.

From: Karsten Bolding (karsten AT XXXXXX)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 01:10:13 MDT

Hello

I'm new to this list and I have a couple of questions. I've search the
email archive without finding any answers.

My goal is to make a number of ncl-scripts we can use to present results
form an ocean model. The model can run with both cartesian, spherical
and curvilinear grids in the horizontal. In the vertical it can use
sigma, z-level or general vertical coordinates.

Now my questions:
1:
To do conturing on curvilinear grids is it necessary to use NCAR
Graphics (specially cpmpxy - cpex14.f) or is it also possible to use ncl
for this purpose (hopefully without using natgrids - which I guess if
for irregular data).

2:
In cpex14.f the first frame is produced by calling the GKS routine GFA -
is it possible to create a similar plot in ncl - i.e. no contouring just
represent each polygon with a color.

3:
How would I in ncl plot the grid structure (mainly of a curvilinear
grid)

4:
Vertial coordinates. Are there any native support in ncl for different
vertical coordinate systems. We store the model output in NetCDF and in
the case of general vertical coordinates we store full 4D fields of
layer heights. I would like to be able to read in a variable - e.g.
temperature) together with the layer height information, define a
transect and plot a vertical slice along this transect in z-coordinates.

I know the above questions could be solved using NCAR Graphics and
writing C/Fortran programs - however I would prefere to use ncl for it's
simplicity.

All for now

Karsten Bolding

Karsten Bolding       Phone:  +39 0332 225090
Via Adda 31           E-mail: karsten AT bolding.net
I-21100 Varese(VA)
Italia