Re: external functions on IBM AIX

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 11:50:14 MST

> I have problem using external shared object on=20
> IBM AIX version: 4.3 with=20
> NCL version: 4.1
>
> A simple sample fortran code :
>
> ---------------- test.f -----------------------
> C NCLFORTSTART
> SUBROUTINE TEST(A,B)
> INTEGER A,B
> C NCLEND
> A =3D B + 2
> END
>
> -------- Make a shared object by: ---------
> wrapit77 < test.f > test_W.c
> nhlcc -c test_W.c -I$NCARG_ROOT/include -L$NCARG_ROOT/lib
> nhlf77 -c test.f
> ld -G -bnoentry -bexpall -o test.so test.o test_W.o
>
> ---------- run ncl will get: -------------------
> $ncl
> ncl 0>external test "./test.so"
> Illegal instruction(coredump)
> $
>
> Anyone has any idea ? I have tried it on Linux and it worked.

Dear Cheung and others,

After further research into this, it turns out that the problem arises
if you don't have the ESSL library installed at your site. This
library is proprietary software, and it appears that IBM has a put a
hook in the executable that will not allow you to run it if you don't
have the library installed at your site.

The only thing we use the ESSL library for is some BLAS routines, so
for the next minor release of NCL (probably a couple of weeks), I am
going to build the NCL executable using the Netlib version of the BLAS
library.

If you need to run NCL on an IBM now, and you don't have the ESSL
library, please send me email (haley AT ucar.edu), and I'll provide you
with an executable.

Cheers,

--Mary