Contouring in NCL with terrain-following coordinates

From: Eric M. Kemp (ekemp AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 09:29:17 MST

Hello,

I am attempting to produce vertical cross-sections of model data that are
in terrain-following coordinates. I am currently using some NCL and
Fortran code from the WRF model package to interpolate the data to a
uniform Cartesian grid, but this results in "step" like terrain features
at the surface. Ideally I would like to keep the data in their native
coordinates, leading to smoother plots at the surface.

In checking the ncl-talk archives, I've found a message from Sylvia Murphy
dated 4 September 2001 stating that curvilinear grids cannot be plotted
as-is in NCL but that such a feature was "in the queue" to be added. Is this
information up-to-date? Do any tentative completion dates exist? It
isn't a *huge* issue and I understand that adding this feature is not
trivial, but it would be nice to have.

Thanks!

-Eric

Eric M. Kemp E-Mail: ekemp AT ou.edu
Research Scientist Phone: (405) 325-7992
Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms FAX: (405) 325-7614
The University of Oklahoma http://caps.ou.edu/~ekemp