Re: some problems of spherical harmonic filter

From: Dennis Shea (shea AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 11:49:41 MST

    Hello,

    First let me say that there are *no* "problems of spherical
    harmonic filter"

    Background:

    I know that Song Feng has calculated Eliassen-Palm (E-P)
    fluxes from assorted model runs. Also, I think from
    NCEP Reanalysis. The E-P fluxes provide
    a measure of the local acceleration [ du/dt ]
    as a result of eddy heat and momentum fluxes.
    There are several variants of these EP fluxes.
    In the variant Song Feng is using, three terms are involved.

    Song Feng notes:

    " ... my code work reasonable well for 4 variables. For the
    other two variables (dudt, divk) the results are also good
    except for 925-700hPa levels."

    Ummm, if something were wrong with the spherical harmonic
    functions they would have been noted at all levels not
    just with the 925-700 layers. What is unique to these levels?

    Double Ummmm! well, mountains, of course. In the real world
    there are no continuous fields at these levels. TAntarctica
    continent, Andes, Rockies, Himalays, etc all prevent this.

    For convenience (mostly graphical) grid points affected by
    mountains are artifically filled with interpolated or
    extrapolated values. Make no mistake about these numbers
    they are *all bogus*. In the case of, say, temperature the
    fields might look pretty 'reasonable., perhaps, because a standard
    lapse rate has been used. (Also, for geopotential
    height.) However, for the most part
    these values should *not* be treated as realistic and should not
    be used in any equations.

    In the case of EP-fluxes, all terms in the EP equation were
    *extrapolated* to the 925-700 levels. In Song Feng's case
    only vertical extrapolation was used.

    They might *look* ok because the mountainous areas are local
    and relatively small scale. However, when a global spherical
    harmonic operator is applied, the small scale stuff affects
    all wave numbers. The results are contaminated.

    Bottom line: one should not apply a global operator to
    fields that affected by mountains.

    good luck