Re: pressure/height vs lon

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 15:00:56 MDT

    > Hi there.
    >
    > I am creating some contour + vector pressure/height plots using
    >
    > gsn_csm_pres_hgt_vector
    >
    > and am wondering 2 things
    >
    > 1. is there a way to change the scale on the height axis?
    > eg. I am only looking at the bottom 500mb of the atmosphere so would
    > like the height scale to be every 1 or 2 km (instead of 4km)

    Jason,

    I have added this capability to the "gsn_csm.ncl" script. What you'll
    need to do is set the resource "tmYRTickSpacingF" to whatever spacing
    you want on the right height axis. Since the code wants to use "nice"
    values, you should use a nice round number, like 1, 2, 3, etc:

        res = True
        res@tmYRTickSpacingF = 1
        plot = gsn_csm_pres_hgt(...,res)

    You must first download a new "gsn_csm.ncl" and "gsn_code.ncl". You can
    do this from:

        http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ug/ncl/gsun/scripts/gsn_code.ncl
        http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ug/ncl/gsun/scripts/gsn_csm.ncl

    These are still in test mode, so you may want to make copies of your
    original versions of these files first.

    Also, the code from the above links may look funny, because the lines
    do not have clean breaks after them. I'm having our web folks look
    into this. Meanwhile, the code should look fine if you save it to a
    file.

    --Mary