time dimension

From: ENOMOTO Takeshi (enomoto.takeshi AT XXXXXX)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 04:18:52 MDT

    Hello,

    I'd like to draw a Hovmoller plot from an output of model.
    The data is saved every 6 hours starting from a particular
    date and time (April 1 of the first year) in a GrADS format.

    I was able to draw such figures with GrADS,
    but I'd like to do the same in ncl (as easy).

    I wrote a wrapper for reading direct binary in Gaussian coordinates
    thus I/O is now not a problem.

    Now I need to assign a coordinate variable to the time dimension.
    When I draw a latitude-time section, I'd like to have dates as tick marks
    rather than hours.
    In another case I may even want it with pentads.

    CCSM example pages seem to show only basic ones with a simple time axis.
    Other tutorials showing assignment of the time coordinate variable show
    an example such as:

    time = (/ 1., 2., 3., 4., 5., 6./)

    1. How date and time should be expressed and assigned?
    2. Does a template, such as gsn_csm_lat_time automatically scale
    hr/day/month?
    3. How can I customize the coordinate labels?
    4. Is there a way to deviate from Gregorian calendar, defined in
    udunits.dat
    and use the model month of 30 days?

    I appreciate any help, suggestions, or pointer to FAQ, doc, examples.

    -----
    ENOMOTO, Takeshi, Dr
    enomoto.takeshi AT nasda.go.jp
    Frontier Research System for Global Change