Re: missing longitude labels on polar plot

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 17:16:11 MDT

    > I'm using gsn_csm_contour_map_polar to contour some data
    > over the Antarctic and I only get 5 of the expected 12
    > longitude labels. Namely, with 0 degrees at the top,
    > I only see those in the lower half of the plot, i.e.,
    > 180 deg and two more to either side (@30 deg intervals).
    > I'm also getting the following set of error messages,
    > once for each missing label:
    > fatal:NhlCvtStringToEnum: Unable to convert string "missing"
    > to requested type
    > warning:Error retrieving resource amJust from args - Ignoring Arg
    > fatal:NhlCvtStringToEnum: Unable to convert string "missing" to
    > requested type
    > warning:Error retrieving resource amSide from args - Ignoring Arg
    > Thus this appears to be something to do with amJust and amSide.
    > I tried setting amTrackData (somewhat blindly) but get another
    > error message (warning:amTrackData is not a valid resource in
    > ezplot1p_map at this time). Rather than continuing to thrash
    > (I'm very new to ncl), I'm hoping someone else has seen this
    > or otherwise knows how to fix it.

    Dave,

    I believe a quick fix is to not set the mpMinLonF and mpMaxLonF
    resources. With a polar plot generated by any of the
    gsn_csm_*_map_polar routines, the values should always be going from
    -180 to 180, and really shouldn't be set by the user. These two
    resources are for setting the map limits and not the data limits. The
    data limits are handled automatically, via the coordinate arrays.

    Meanwhile, I'm going to put a check in the gsn_csm_*_polar routines to
    print out a warning if somebody tries to reset the minimum and maximum
    longitude values.