contouring within a domain

From: David Reusch (dbr AT XXXXXX)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 16:07:57 MDT

    Q: Given an irregular set of points, in a polar setting,
    is there a way to do contouring only within the domain
    covered by the points?

    My data looks like this:
     a vector of actual data
     a vector of latitudes
     a vector of longitudes
    The lat/lon values are specific to each data point and
    are definitely *not* monotonic. (For what it's worth,
    the lat/long data are from a 250 km polar EASE grid.)
    The boundaries of the data are straight making it a
    polygon of sorts but also removing any chance of using
    a latitude line as some kind of cutoff.

    So far I've been using idsfft to convert to a rectangular
    grid and gsn_csm_contour_map_polar to do the contours.
    Unfortunately, the latter is contouring outside the
    bounds of my data. Since my mpMaxLatF is set to -60,
    it fills in the whole region up to -60 (while doing at
    least the min/max longitude correctly). Some of my
    data does go to -60 but only a small fraction.

    In short, I guess these are my questions:
    - do I need to use idsfft in the first place? I think
      "yes" since everything else I tried failed... If
      not, I'd love to hear the alternative. I'd guess
      this may be causing problems since it introduces a
      rectangular grid with no real memory of the original
      data bounds.
    - is there a way to use a mask to keep the contours
      within my domain? if so, how? I've seen the sea
      ice example but don't quite see how to translate
      it to my data (at least w/o a nice continental
      mask as in that example).

    This is a rather urgent problem for me to have solved
    since visualization is key to doing any analysis of
    my PhD research results.

    thanks!
    dave reusch
    dbr AT geosc.psu.edu