addfile and symbolic links

From: Scott Snodgrass (snodgras AT XXXXXX)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 17:23:36 MDT

    Hello -

        I was wondering if the addfile function is able to follow symbolic
    links? I have a situation where I have a script that sets up a symbolic
    link to a netcdf input file and then calls a NCL script. The NCL script
    then turns around and attempts to access the netcdf file via the
    symbolic link. However I am getting a fatal error when the NCL script
    attempts to perform the addfile. The error message is stating that the
    input file, in this case the name coming back is that of the symbolic
    link, doesn't exist. The NCL script gets past the addfile if I hard code
    the path and file, but crashes when the symbolic link is used. So I was
    just wondering if the addfile function is can follow symbolic links. (In
    case it makes any difference, this is being running this on a Sun
    machine running Solaris and I am using NCAR Graphics version 4.2.1)
    Thanks.

     Scott