Re: contouring

From: Sylvia Murphy (murphys AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 08:41:38 MST

Hauss,

to my knowlege, NCL can only handle gridded data. You must interpolate.
Note that other programs that supposedly do this w/o interpolation, really
do some sort of mathematical transformation behind the scenes. You may
wish to have greater control over this process than they allow. Different
types of interpolation are better for different types of random structure.
I usually create the plot using both inverse distance weighted averaging
and natural neighbor averaging and compare. Both of those techniques are
available in NCL as dsgrid and natgrid respectively.

sylvia

Sylvia Murphy EML: murphys AT ucar.edu
NCAR CGD/CAS PHN: 303-497-1720
3080 Center Green Drive FAX: 303-497-1333
Boulder CO 80301

WEB: http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/csm/support/
     http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/csm/support/CSM_Graphics/