Re: aspect ratio of paneled contour plots

From: Sylvia Murphy (murphys AT XXXXXX)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 19:13:14 MST

    keith,
    in order to change the aspect ratio of a MAP, there is one other resource
    you need:

    res@mpShapeMode="FreeAspect"

    maps are smart enought to know what their aspect ration is, so when you
    try to change it, the say no way and override you.

    you can see an example of resizing a map at:
    http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/csm/support/CSM_Graphics/resize.shtml

    example 3

    sylvia

    On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Keith Oleson wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have three contour plots that are 60 degrees in latitude and 360 degrees
    > in longitude. No matter what I do when I panel these plots, the aspect ratio
    > stays the same (longitude axis is six times the length of the latitude axis).
    > How do I disable this so that I can control the height and width of each
    > plot independently? I've tried viewport specifications but the aspect ratio
    > stays the same. Setting gsnScale to False doesn't help either.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Keith

    > Keith Oleson oleson AT ucar.edu
    > Terrestrial Sciences Section Work Phone: 303-497-1332
    > Climate and Global Dynamics Division Fax: 303-497-1695
    > National Center for Atmospheric Research Express mail: NCAR
    > P.O. Box 3000 3080 Center Green Dr.
    > Boulder, CO 80307 Boulder, CO 80301

    Sylvia Murphy EML: murphys AT ucar.edu
    NCAR CGD/CAS PHN: 303-497-1720
    3080 Center Green Drive FAX: 303-497-1333
    Boulder CO 80301

    WEB: http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/csm/support/
         http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/csm/support/CSM_Graphics/