Re: Re: OS X follow up...

From: David Reusch (dbr AT XXXXXX)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 08:43:56 MST

    On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 10:01:23AM -0700, Mary Haley wrote:
    >Dierk and MacOSX users,
    >
    >I built a new version of NCL under MacOSX 10.2 that should not have
    >these problems anymore. This version of NCL is the one I just recently
    >advertised, 4.2.0.a027.
    >
    >To get this new version, go to:
    >
    > http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/download.html
    >
    >fill out the required fields in the form, click on "submit", and then
    >download the "ncl-4.2.0.a027.DARWIN_GNU_MAC.tar.gz" file. Instructions
    >on what to do with this file can be found at:
    >
    > http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/installncl.html
    >
    >I would appreciate feedback, positive or negative, on whether this
    >new version fixes the above problem that some people were having.

    Just made it through my first NCL install under OS X 10.2.3 with
    the above NCL version. I did *not* see the previously reported
    error so it appears fixed. What I did trip over, and this may not
    be a NCL issue, was a copy of /sw/lib/libdl.dylib with the wrong
    name (NCL wanted libdl.dylib but Fink/dselect apparently named
    it libdl.0.dylib). I haven't looked into this any deeper than
    copying and renaming the lib (which fixed things) so I couldn't
    say if this is a new version of dlcompat or a bug somewhere else.
    But I did want to let people know this bump exists.

    also, it would be nice for OS X-specific install instructions
    to be documented in one place. I got a little lost in the process
    of getting Fink/dlcompat installed before I could test ncl itself.
    for example, I think I only saw that dlcompat was a prereq after
    I accepted the license. to check again, I'm not sure how I'd
    access that info w/o reaccepting the license -- though being wrong
    about this wouldn't surprise me at all right now. (ok, Google finds
    the announcements for OS X so that's *one* way to do it...) NOT a
    huge problem, just a modest "quality of life" issue.

    cheers,
    dave reusch