Re: Plot Map with Image Background

From: Greg Thompson (gthompsn AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 08:43:17 MST

    Addy,

    I have accomplished this in the past using software un-related
    to NCL. You can use a Perl script (or C/C++ program) and the
    GD image libraries to open and ingest a JPG file, then open
    a separate file (map background, streamlines, etc) as a PNG
    file, then overlay the two and output a JPG or PNG file. More
    details on the GD image library are found here:
       http://stein.cshl.org/WWW/software/GD/
    and support for GIF had to be removed in recent years because of
    the Unisys patent on LZW compression scheme. That isn't a problem
    because you can always convert GIF to PNG.

    I'd be pretty certain that the "ImageMagick" suite of tools
    can also accomplish the same thing. If you search Google for
    that tool-suite, I'm sure you can find it.

    --Greg T. NCAR/RAP