Re: finer font control

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 08:44:50 MDT

> Hello,
>
> I am using gsn_csm_contour_map to contour polar data and I
> would like to separately set the font heights of the title
> and lat/long labels. Changing txFontHeightF changes both
> the title and the lat/long labels. Using a height large
> enough for the title makes the lat/long labels too big (at
> least in my 5x3 panelled plots) and vice versa (though I've
> been getting by with a small title). Any ideas or is this
> one for the wish list?

Dave,

As you saw, txFontHeightF controls both the three titles at the top,
and the lat/lon labels around the plot. Since the ability to label
polar plots is not inherent to NCL, it has to be done using a text
object, and that is why the txFontHeightF resource affects the labels
in this case. The same goes for the three titles at the top.

If you want to keep the two font heights separate, I would
suggest *not* using gsn*String to label the top of the plot,
but rather use the gsn_text_ndc procedure. This way, you can
control the font heights of your titles separate from
your lat/lon labels.

I will look into adding a special resource that allows you to control
the font height of the three strings at the top.

> Also, any guesstimate for when the OS X binary will be
> ready? The PDF output feature looks handy.

Sometime this week, I hope. I've had a hard time logging into our
system for some reason (it's a remote machine).

--Mary