Re: 3-D scatter plots

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 13:33:06 MDT

    > Hi All
    >
    > Does any one know if it is possible to do 3-D scatter plots in NCL? I
    > have found examples of 3-D surfaces, however all I need is a scatter
    > plot. Thanks.
    >
    > Scott Snodgrass

    All,

    I responded to Scott off-line and sent him an NCL script that uses
    some routines that haven't been advertised. The NCL script generates
    a plot that looks like the one at:

      http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ngmath/shgrid/plot1.html

    These routines are nothing more than direct interfaces to our
    low-level 3D plotting package called Tdpack. You can see the
    documentation for Tdpack, which is a Fortran/C library, at:

       http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/supplements/tdpack/

    I haven't advertised these Tdpack routines because at the NCL level,
    we normally don't do graphics in this fashion (that is, as direct
    calls to our low-level package, rather than via an object-oriented
    interface). You can't set resources in the normal fashion, for one
    thing, which is what doing in graphics in NCL is all about.

    We realize 3D graphics is not a highlight of NCL, and this is
    something we are currently researching and hope to improve.

    Meanwhile, if anybody is interested in these low-level routines, send
    me email and I'll send you an example if I have one that does what
    you're looking for.

    Cheers,