Re: gsnMaximize question

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 12:52:47 MST

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to produce a three panel plot showing differences between
> mesoscale model runs. The images within the three panel plot end up being
> quite small. I'm using gsnMaximize and the associated paper size functions
> to enlarge the page size, but it does not seem to affect the paper size of the
> PS file.
> I tried writing an NCGM file, and it seemed to work fine.
>
> The gsnMaximize description says:
> "The aspect ratio will be preserved. For a PostScript or PDF file, the plot will
> be expanded to fill the biggest possible space on an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of
> paper. You can change the default paper size or orientation with the resources
> <http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ug/ncl/gsun/appendixa.html#gsnPaperOrientation>
> gsnPaperOrientation,
> <http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ug/ncl/gsun/appendixa.html#gsnPaperMargin>
> gsnPaperMargin,
> <http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ug/ncl/gsun/appendixa.html#gsnPaperWidth>
>
> gsnPaperWidth, and
> <http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ug/ncl/gsun/appendixa.html#gsnPaperHeight
> >
> gsnPaperHeight."
>
> Do these controls work for PS files?

Hi Jan,

Yes, in fact, these controls only work for PS and PDF output, and not
for NCGM and X11 output.

Just to be certain, did you have "res@" in front of the gsnPaper*
resources? In the above code, you listed them without a "res@".

> plot(0) gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,slpw(0,:,:)/100.,res) ; Draw contours
> over a map.
> .
> .
> .
> gsn_panel(wks,plot,(/3,1/),res) ; now draw as one plot

One thing that can throw off the maximization routine is if you draw
a text string or some other object on the same frame before you draw
the paneled plots. By any chance are you doing that here?

> I have attached an example image (PNG format).

My mailer couldn't seem to handle the attached PNG file. Can you send
it again in another format?

> Is there a way to avoid this while writing directly to PS files?

We should be able to get this working, but it will help once I am
able to see the resultant file.

Thanks,

--Mary