Re: How to convert NCAR MSS files to Netcdf files

From: Rick Grubin (grubin AT XXXXXX)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 13:03:54 MST

Hello,

> I am now trying to analyzing CCM3 output. I got the monthly output form
> NCAR MSS datasets. Could someone tell me how to convert the MSS files
> (such as 01-50,02-50,... 12-50, 01-51...,12-99..) to Netcdf files? The
> following are my goals: 1) Convert the MSS files to Netcdf format; 2)
> Automatically delete the MSS files when the conversions are finished; 3)
> The MSS files contain all CCM3 output fields, I just need part of fields.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Song Feng

There is a utility called 'ccm2nc' that converts from CCM history tape
format to netCDF format. You can find the source code at:

    http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/ccm3/tools/

You'll find directions on how to download the code, and notes about other
required software (the netCDF libraries).

Another helpful link may be:

    http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/ccm3/ccm3lsm_doc/ccm3_doc/UG-45.html

which discusses various data fields in a CCM file, as well as:

    http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/csm/support/

which you may find helpful for data manipulation, file input/output, and
visualization of your data.

-Rick.

--
Rick Grubin                     Visualization + Enabling Technologies
Scientific Computing Division   National Center for Atmospheric Research