Re: average on 2 dimensions?

From: Sylvia Murphy (murphys AT XXXXXX)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 12:51:22 MDT

    liz,

    you can use dim_avg twice to do what you want, but you will have to
    reorder your data. in order to reorder, your dimensions much be named

    e.g. ts(time,lev,lat,lon)

    ave1 = dim_avg_Wrap(ts(lev|:,lat|:,lon|:,time|:))
    note i used the wrapper version of dim_avg which you can get by loading
    contributed.ncl at the top of your script. the wrapper function preserves
    the variable meta data including the named dimensions. you'll need these
    to reorder again for phase II.

    ave2 = dim_avg_Wrap(ave1(lat|:,lon|:,lev|:))

    ave2 should now be a two dimensional array dimensioned lat x lon

    cheers,

    sylvia

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, lzhang wrote:

    > One more question:
    >
    > I got this data set ts(365,4,73,144). Is there any way to average data
    > on first two dimensions? I found this function dim_avg only for
    > right-most dimension.
    >
    > --
    > Thank you,
    > Liz