Re: monthly->daily

From: Dennis Shea (shea AT XXXXXX)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 08:58:30 MDT

>I have a question regarding converting monthly data to daily data.
>I have Jan-Dec monthly average temperatures and wanted to
>create 365 average daily temperatures by basically fitting a
>curve and smoothing it. Does NCL have a function/script
>to perform this task? I do not want to purely linearly interpolate because
>that would underestimate the max and min of the seasonal cycle.

[1] There is no general interpolation formula that can
    be accurately estimate the true amplitude of the
    annual cycle given monthly data. The user must provide
    more information.

[2] Remember the the monthly mean actually applies to the
    center of 'mass' of the observations. That would be the
    mid-day of the month.

         Month day of year
          Jan 16
          Feb 45.5 [Feb 14.5]