Re: Pres/Height vs Time

From: Sylvia Murphy (murphys AT XXXXXX)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 08:39:27 MDT

    Hi Chad,

    You are correct in that you should use gsn_csm_pres_hgt_vector.

    we just don't have an web examples of that template wrt time but it
    certainly can handle that.

    you will need to change your vector style to windbarb
    res@vcGlyphStyle = "WindBarb" ; select wind barbs

    etc.

    note that when putting vectors or barbs on a vertical plot it may be
    necessary to scale your vertical velocity so that u and or v does not
    overwhelm it. I have seen OMEGA used over W in these situations as well.

    if you plan to do this via time, what wind components do you plan to use?
    the advantage of lat/lon on the x axis is that choosing the component is
    simplier.

    cheers,

    sylvia

    On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Chad Bahrmann wrote:

    > I am currently using gsn_csm_pres_hgt to contour cloud water mixing ratio from 100mb to 500 mb see below.
    >
    > map1 = gsn_csm_pres_hgt (wks,temp_new({1000:500},:),res)
    >
    > Which is producing excellent results.
    >
    > However, I would like to overplot wind barbs over this plot but I am having difficulty understanding how to do this with
    > gsn_csm_pres_hgt_vector
    > Is this the correct routine or should I be using something else.
    >
    > >From what I gather from the examples for gsn_csm_pres_hgt_vector it is to be used as a Pres vs Lat or Lon but I would like Pres vs Time
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Chad Bahrmann