Re: about gsn_csm_contour_map_ce

From: Adam Phillips (asphilli AT XXXXXX)
Date: Mon Jun 07 2004 - 10:35:22 MDT

    Hi Muhtarjan ,

    >In plot = gsn_csm_contour_map_ce(wks: graphic, data: numeric, resources:
    >logical) Does the order of the dimension of the array(data) matter? lat x lon
    >or lon x lat? For example, if the NCEP SLP is restored as slp(lat,lon). Should
    >I turn it to slp(lon,lat) to get a correct figure?

    The array should be latxlon. If you don't do that I believe NCL will give you an
    error message.. NCL also expects that you have the following attributes set:
    (Assuming your data is stored in "array")
    array&lat@units = "degrees_north"
    array&lon@units = "degrees_east"

    >And another thing, if latitude is N->S direction, should I change it to
    >S->N before plotting?

    NCL will handle both (N->S and S->N) when plotting. However, it is a good
    practice to get into ordering your data array from S->N, as I believe the
    spherical harmonic functions expect the data to run from S->N.

    To flip the latitudes for array "finarr"(lat,lon):
    newarr = finarr(::-1,:)
    Adam