Re: Polar Stereographic Projection

From: David Brown (dbrown AT XXXXXX)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 12:49:53 MDT

    Addy,

    Here is a script that will approximate the map you are referring to:

    ;================================================;
    ; maponly_4.ncl
    ;================================================;
    load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
    load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
    ; ================================================;
    begin

       wks = gsn_open_wks("ps","maponly") ; open a ps file

       res = True
       res@mpProjection = "Stereographic"
       res@mpCenterLatF = 90
       res@mpCenterLonF = 10
       res@mpGridSpacingF = 10
       res@mpGridPolarLonSpacingF = 0
    ; res@mpLimitMode = "NPC"
       res@mpLeftNPCF = 0.3525
       res@mpBottomNPCF = 0.365
       res@mpRightNPCF = 0.753
       res@mpTopNPCF = 0.647
       res@mpLimitMode = "Corners"
       res@mpLeftCornerLonF = -38
       res@mpLeftCornerLatF = 12
       res@mpRightCornerLatF = -8
       res@mpRightCornerLonF = 130
       res@mpFillOn = False
       res@mpGridAndLimbOn = True
       res@mpOutlineBoundarySets = "AllBoundaries"
       res@gsnMaximize = True

       plot = gsn_csm_map(wks,res) ; draw global map

       end

    Note I did this by trial and error, using two different limit methods.
    In order to do this sort of thing yourself, you first need to match up
    the projection
    center. From inspection I determined that it is a stereographic
    projection with
    latitude centered on the north pole. Originally I did not look closely
    enough and
    assumed that the longitude center was at 0, but when my first attempts
    did not
    work correctly I realized that it was actually 10 degree east. Then I
    set the
    grid spacing to be the same as in the subject map 10 degrees.

    The corner method is probably easiest. You simply need to determine,
    based on the
    degree lines, the approximate location of the bottom left and top right
    corners. It might
    take a few iterations to get it right to the precision you want.
      -dave