NCL and large netCDF files

From: PTMartien AT XXXXXX
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 00:31:45 MDT

    Greetings,

    I've been enjoying creating graphical plots of my netCDF
    formatted data using NCL--very nice interface. Recently,
    however, I've discovered that my installation of NCL apparently
    won't read files larger than 2GB, this in spite of the fact
    that I have compiled the netCDF libararies to support large
    files. I can successfully read and write large netCDF files
    with gcc, pgf90, and Perl.

    I am running RedHad Linux:
    Linux zephyr 2.4.20-8 #1 Thu Mar 13 17:54:28 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    gcc version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)
    pgf90 version 5.1-3

    When I try to read a large file with NCL I get the following message:

    %ncl contour_HCHO.ncl
     Copyright (C) 1995-2004 - All Rights Reserved
     NCAR Command Language Version 4.2.0.a031
     The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
     See http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/ for more details.
    fatal:_NclCreateFile: Requested file does not exist as
    (/data/ASAP/output/basetest/airshed.2.nc) or as
    (/data/ASAP/output/basetest/airshed.2), can't add file
    fatal:Either file (a) isn't defined or variable (HCHO) is not a variable in the
    file
    fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 70 in file contour_HCHO.ncl

    Here are lines 69-70 of the script:

    69 conc = a->HCHO*1000.
    70 time = a->time

    This identical script does work for files smaller than 2GB. No single
    variable exceeds 2GB.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    --Phil Martien
      Bay Area Air Quality Management District
      Voice: (415) 749-4660
      FAX: (415) 749-4741
      E-mail: PTMartien AT baaqmd.gov