Re: ncl on dataproc

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 11:43:16 MDT

    > good morning:
    >
    > I go a error message today when I run a ncl script on dataproc:
    > dataproc:/ptmp/hliu/ncl/ggg[12]ncl < hhh.ncl
    > Copyright (C) 1995-2004 - All Rights Reserved
    > NCAR Command Language Version 4.2.0.a031
    > The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
    > See http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/ for more details.
    > warning:Unable to Get System Resource File Name?
    > warning:Unable to load System Resource File (null)
    > fatal:GetSysAppDir:Unable to get a default value for the system App Resource directory
    > warning:["Resources.c":721]:Unable to set appSysDir to default value - Using NULL
    > fatal:GetSysAppDir:Unable to get a default value for the system App Resource directory
    > warning:["Resources.c":721]:Unable to set appSysDir to default value - Using NULL
    > warning:Unable to Get System Resource File Name?
    > Bus error (core dumped)
    >
    > anyone has an idea about this error?
    >
    > any help is appreciated.
    >
    > hui

    To everybody:

    This question was already answered internally, but I thought it would
    be good to point out what the solution was.

    Whenever you get a message from NCL about not being able to find a
    file, like:

        warning:Unable to Get System Resource File Name?
        warning:Unable to load System Resource File (null)

    then the most likely culprit is that your NCARG_ROOT environment
    variable is either not set, or it is set incorrectly. It needs to be
    set to the *parent* directory of where the NCL software is installed.
    For example, if your NCL binary is in /usr/local/bin/ncl, and the
    database files are in /usr/local/lib/ncarg, then you want to setenv
    NCARG_ROOT to /usr/local.

    You can do this in one of your home "dot" files (which should already
    exist), like ".cshrc". You can then make sure that the "ncl"
    executable is on your search path by adding $NCARG_ROOT/bin to your
    search path. You need to make sure to do this *after* you setenv
    NCARG_ROOT.

    Email me directly if you have any questions about this.