Image Conversion

From: Hauss Reinbold (reinbold AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 20:58:46 MDT

Hello all,

I'm working on taking model output on an operational basis and
displaying it on the web. If I'm using NCL to create the graphics
(850mb height maps, etc.), what is the best and fastest method to get
it to a gif or jpg format? I use Imagemagick's convert to go from
postscript to jpg or gif, but the process is slow (at least at the
density I would like the graphics at) and using going the ngcm through
ctrans route yields a graphics quality I am not happy with. I would
like post-processing to take less time than the model run, but I don't
want to sacrifice image quality too much. I know this may not be
possible, but I am determined to get the fastest conversion time
possible with the highest possible image quality. I have done a lot of
research on this already, but I'm curious as to what some of you would
suggest as the fastest way to get from NCL postscript plot to jpg or
gif without sacrificing image quality. Obviously this is a somewhat
subjective assessment. I realize this may be a little off-topic as
it's not strictly NCL related, but I would appreciate any advice any of
you might have. Thanks.

Hauss Reinbold