new version of NCL available

From: Mary Haley (haley AT ucar.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 05:59:41 MST

NCL-talkers,

We are pleased to announce that a new version of NCL (4.2.0.a032)
is now available for download:

    http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/download.html

This version has the long-awaited feature of being able to generate
contours on non-uniform grids. This is probably the most significant
functionality added to NCL since its release in 1995.

For more information on the types of grids that NCL can now contour
and to view some examples, see:

   http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/grids/

Since this new functionality has only been tested on a handful of
grids, we are asking the user community to help us test this new
capability. We will be happy to help you get started.

This version also has several new processing and graphics functions
and capability enhancements. To list a few:

   - a much faster version of the EOF routines
   - functions for writing Vis5D files
   - an enhanced GRIB reader
   - function for assigning randomly spaced data onto the nearest
     locations of a grid with two-dimensional latitude and longitude
     arrays

For the full list of what's new, see:

    http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/whatsnew.html

If you have any problems or questions, feel free to email me,
haley@ucar.edu.

Cheers,