accounting for surface area differences when averaging

From: Cathryn Meyer (cathryn.meyer AT yale.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 10:28:00 MST

Hello,

I have been calculating global averages of several output variables from
CAM3.0, however I am wondering if there is a way to account for the
differing surface areas between grid boxes of different latitudes when
doing this averaging (for example, to make the grid boxes with smaller
surface area contribute less to the average)? I have been using dim_avg
for my calculations, and I do not think that this takes surface area
into account, but I am not sure.

Thanks,
Cathy

--