Re: NCL Script help

From: Adam Phillips (asphilli AT cgd.ucar.edu)
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 09:14:26 MDT

Hi Patrick,

I think the function that you want is called dim_sum, which will sum up
the rightmost dimension of an array:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/dim_sum.shtml

Assuming your arrays u,v, and pm are dimensioned lev x lat x lon:

pm_plane = pm(0,:,:) ;set up pm_plane to keep coordinate variables
pm_plane = (/ dim_sum(pm(lat|:,lon|:,lev|:)) /) ;sum up the rightmost
        ;dimension (lev), don't transfer coordinate variable info to
        ;pm_plane (or in this case destroy pm_plane coord var info)

You can also use the _Wrap version of this function, which will transfer
the correct coordinate variables lat,lon to pm_plane. Make sure you load
contributed.ncl if you do this.
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/dim_sum_Wrap.shtml

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"
pm_plane = dim_sum_Wrap(pm(lat|:,lon|:,lev|:))

Repeat for u_plane and v_plane...
Adam