Re: histograms

From: Mary Haley (haley AT ucar.edu)
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 08:21:53 MDT

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Sara Rauscher wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a few histogram questions.
>
> Is there any way to show more than two histograms side by side, instead of
> the transparent technique shown in
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/histo_10.ncl?

Hi Sara,

The histogram utility is just meant to be a tool for simple histograms,
and doesn't have the capability to do more than two comparisons of
histograms. You can look at example 6 for another way of comparing
two histograms, however.

> Is there any way to output the frequencies that are created by gsn_histogram
> (other than the histogram graphic itself)?

If you print the return variable from the gsn_histogram function call,
you will see a number of attributes attached to the variable:

   NumInBins - an array of the number of items in each bin.

   NumMissing - the number of missing values (if any)

   Percentages - an array of percentages indicating the distribution of
                 the bin values (missing values are counted in total)

   PercentagesNoMissing - an array of percentages indicating the
                          distribution of the bin values (missing
                          values are not counted in total)

I believe "NumInBins" should give you what you want.

--Mary