Copying NCL binaries into NCARG directories

From: Don Morton (Don.Morton AT umontana.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 29 2005 - 08:20:51 MDT

Howdy,

I'm seeking a little clarification. It's my understanding
that it's best to copy an NCL binaries into an existing
NCARG directory tree, primarily due to the fact that both
distributions expect to be located under $NCARG_ROOT.

A lot of the NCL files have the same names as ones in
the NCARG distribution, and I've typically been
hesitant to overwrite the NCARG files, so my ploy
has been to use a "cp -i" form of copy and I always
answer NO to any overwriting. In other words, if
a filename from the NCL distribution matches one in
the NCARG distribution, I don't copy; I simply choose
to retain the NCARG one (in the lib directory, there
are approximately 95 cases of identical filenames).

Is this right or wrong? I'm inexperienced with NCL and
only use it for a couple of small purposes. Are there
binaries in the NCL distribution that might be preferred
to the same-named binaries in the NCARG distribution?

Thanks,

Don Morton