Can NCL read 'binary-punch' format?

From: Saravanan Arunachalam (sarav AT email.unc.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 14:31:05 MDT

Hello,

I am trying to read the output from the GEOS-CHEM model, which writes out
data in a 'binary-punch' format for subsequent analyses/visualization.
Please see

http://www-as.harvard.edu/chemistry/trop/gamap/documentation/gamap_5.html#5

Their analyses package called GAMAP uses IDL to read this format and can
then write out in HDF, netCDF, etc.

I was wondering if NCL can handle binary-punch format. I looked up the NCL
documentation, and didnt find it. Thought I might as well ask this group
to see if anyone has come across this format for other modeling systems.

Thanks for your help.

Sarav Arunachalam
Carolina Environmental Program