NCL from Cronjob

From: Jan Dutton (jfd AT weatherventures.com)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 19:35:46 MDT

Hello,

I have a perl script that calls an NCL script via the perl function system()
that does not seem to be working quite right.

I'm running NCL 4.2.0.a030 on Red Hat 8.

When I run the perl script from the command line everything works great, but
when I set up a cron job to run the script, the resulting error message is:

warning:Unable to Get System Resource File Name?
warning:Unable to load System Resource File (null)
fatal:GetSysAppDir:Unable to get a default value for the system App Resource
directory
warning:["Resources.c":721]:Unable to set appSysDir to default value - Using
NULL
fatal:GetSysAppDir:Unable to get a default value for the system App Resource
directory
warning:["Resources.c":721]:Unable to set appSysDir to default value - Using
NULL
warning:Unable to Get System Resource File Name?
warning:WorkstationClassInitialize:Unable to access rgb color database -
named colors unsupported:[errno=2]:No such file or
directory
warning:["Palette.c":1525]:NhlLoadColormapFiles: Invalid directory
encountered in colormap path specification

The simplest possible perl script looks something like:

#! /usr/bin/perl

system("/home/me/script.ncl")

My ncl script uses:

load "/usr/local/ncarg/lib/ncarg/nclex/gsun/gsn_code.ncl"
load "/usr/local/ncarg/lib/ncarg/nclex/gsun/gsn_csm.ncl"

rather than the "load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ . . . " references.

So, when run from cron with

* * * * * /home/me/perlscript.pl

the process generates the above message.

Any suggestions,

Thanks,

Jan