Re: adding text to map

From: Mary Haley (haley AT ucar.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 09:40:01 MDT

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Adam Phillips wrote:

> Hi Micah,
>
> Try setting this resource:
>
> mpFillDrawOrder = "PreDraw"
>
> All map filled areas should be filled first, everything else including your
> text should be drawn afterwards..
>
> Adam

Hi Micah,

I'd like to add something to Adam's post, and that is that when you
call "gsn_text", the text gets drawn right at that time. This means
if you draw anything else afterwards, like by calling a gsn_csm_xxxx
plotting routine, then that plot will appear on top of your text.

So, you should make sure that your "gsn_text" call is after any drawing
calls that take place.

However, in order to call "gsn_text", you have to have already created
the plot, because "gsn_text" expects a plot id as one of its
arguments. So, if you are seeing the ocean fill *after* the text
fill, then you must be doing something like this:

    res = True
    res@gsnDraw = False
    res@gsnFrame = False

    plot = gsn_csm_xxxx(wks,data,res)
    gsn_text(wks,plot,"text string",.5,.5,False)
    draw(plot)
    frame(wks)

If so, then just switch the draw and gsn_text calls:

    plot = gsn_csm_xxxx(wks,data,res)
    draw(plot)
    gsn_text(wks,plot,"text string",.5,.5,False)
    frame(wks)

If you are not calling "gsn_text", but are actually calling "gsn_add_text",
then Adam's solution should do it for you.

--Mary