Attaching lat lon coords to variable grid

From: David E. Atkinson (datkinson AT iarc.uaf.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 14 2005 - 12:31:49 MDT

I have an irregular grid of 100x110 (100 lat, 110 lon).
The data, while in netCDF format, do not have lat/lon
values attached. They are provided in a separate
ASCII file. Each grid point has a unique lat/lon, that
is, it does not form a regular lat/lon box - there are
11000 lat values and 11000 lon values. Reading
everything in is fine, but how do I attach the lat lon
values to the data such that I can use various map
projections etc.

How can I do this? Thanks for any help,
Dave