NCL release and workshops

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:54:58 -0700 (MST)

Dear NCL users,

We have a couple of exciting announcements to make about NCL:

    - A new version will be released next week.
    - The NCL training workshops are being offered again!

New version
===========

The long-awaited version a033 of NCL is scheduled for release next
Monday, January 23, 2006. This is the date that you will be able to
download the NCL software from the Earth System Grid (ESG). If you are
not already registered on the ESG site, you can find instructions at:

     http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/

One of the more significant features of this new version is the
ability to use command line options and arguments. For example, you
can now assign variables that are used by the NCL script right on the
NCL command line:

   ncl nyrStrt=1930 'nyrStrt_at_long_name="Model Run Begin Year"' file.ncl

Also of particular note are the new scripts "ncl_filedump" for dumping
the contents of a file that NCL supports (netCDF, GRIB, HDF), and
"ncl_grib2nc" for converting GRIB files to netCDF files. You can type
"ncl_filedump -h" and "ncl_grib2nc -h" for more information.

For more information on command line arguments and the two new
scripts, see:

      http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/NclCLO.shtml
      http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Tools/ncl_filedump.shtml
      http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Tools/ncl_grib2nc.shtml

To see a full list of what's new in this version of NCL, please see:

      http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/future_release.shtml

NCL Workshops

We are also pleased to announce that the free NCL workshops are back
on, and we will be offering our first one in Boulder, Colorado
February 14-17, 2006. It will include two days of lectures mixed with
hands-on labs, followed by two days of optional hands-on labs.

Space is limited to 16 students, and we will register folks on a
first-come, first-served basis. For more information, go to:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Training/Workshops/

If you are interested, please email me by February 3, 2006.

Cheers,