Could NCL do some classified post map?

From: Leo Xiang <Leo_Aries_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:34:11 +0800

Hello,

     I am making a map of trend distribution for some seperate points.
I wanna know if NCL can do some classified posted map just as in Grads
or other software. (The classified posted effect is that using some
symbols to represent variable with the their size varying according to
the value of variables)

Thanks
                                                Leo_Aries

======= 2006-01-16 14:00:18 您在来信中写道:=======

>Hello,
>
>I am appending a modified script. The output looks ok to me.
>
>The reason for so many "little holes" is that you chose
>a color map ["testcmap"] that has white right in the
>middle of the data. This lead to both valid values
>and _FillValue [missing values] to be white [transparent].
>
>It does look like their are more missing values at higher latitudes.
>
>I also modified the ascii data you were outputting.
>
>good luck
>
>On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, David Atkinson wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am trying to read an HDF4 file with QuikScat marine winds.
>> I have a reader that largely works and seems to plot what is a
>> reasonable result, that is, winds over the ocean and not over
>> the land. However the windfield data are interspersed with little
>> holes where the wind value drops to zero. When plotted, there
>> is a certain pattern to the drop outs that makes it look like some
>> sort of offset problem in lat/long, however the land boundaries
>> are correct; these would also be messed up if there were an
>> offset. I'll check with JPL as well, because it could be a Quikscat
>> or HDF writing issue from their end, but in the chance it is an
>> ncl issue, I am posting it here to see if anyone has an idea or if
>> they have worked with this format before and have seen this.
>>
>> The ncl program to read and subset the data is here:
>> http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~datkinson/QuikScat_reading/read_HDF_quikscat.ncl
>>
>> and a test data file from JPL is here:
>> http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~datkinson/QuikScat_reading/QS_XWGRD3_2003120.20031231631.hdf
>>
>> Thanks for any ideas,