Regridding fields with large "nodata" regions

From: James McPhee <jmcphee_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:04:23 -0800

Hi, I'm trying to regrid some cloud pixel data into a regular grid. On
certain cases, some areas of my domain will be cloudy but some
significant areas may be clear. At the same time, isolated pixels within
cloudy regions may show a "nodata" value because of some algortihm
retrieval error. What I'd like is to be able to discriminate between
these two situations so that the gridding procedure ignores isolated
"nodata" pixels but at the same time the larger areas without clouds are
not assigned some fictituous value (kind of a masked gridding). Does
anyone have a suggestion to do this in a straightforward way, or should
I try implementing a post-processing step?

Any ideas welcome...

James

--
James McPhee